Developed by ACS to give international ICT graduates from Australian universities the skills and training they need to start their career. The program consists of training and an IT internship placement to provide a pathway from study to employment in Australia.
Formally known as the Skilled Migration Internship Program – Accounting (SMIPA) and developed by CPA Australia, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants. The program consists of training, an accounting internship placement and many more.
Developed by Engineering Education Australia (EEA), the Professional Year in Engineering prepares migrant engineers for the Australian workplace. It is the only work-readiness program for engineers legislated by the Australian government & provides a pathway from study to employment in Australia.
Professional Year Program
A Professional Year Program, also termed as Professional Development Program is a practical focused training course designed for international students. It is a combination of formal learning and workplace experience. Currently professional year program runs for students who have completed their studies in IT, Accounting or Engineering (minimum of 2 years) from Australian Universities. IT, Engineering and Accounting industries usually have a high demand of skilled graduates.
In professional year program, the graduates are provided the work integrated training in their chosen career. This provision provides them to get a chance of transforming their theoretical knowledge into practical practice and obtain hands on experience in their relative fields. While getting jobs in Australia is being competitive, Professional Year Program develops the skills and abilities within candidate to accept the challenge they face in the current job market.
DIBP therefore introduced Professional Year Program to help international students to mould themselves according to the Australian job market and grab practical skills in field they are looking to develop their professional career.
Why should international students take Professional Year Program?
There are several benefits of completing professional year programs. Some of them are discussed below”
• International Students can gain practical skills and work experience in Australian industry through an internship program.
• International students will be familiar with the Australian workplaces.
• International students can develop several skills of professionalism by working in live workplaces.
• It adds an extra value to the CV.
• Helps in obtaining the Professional Year Certificate.
• Develops networking with peers and other industry professionals.
• Eligible of obtaining five extra points on Department of Immigration and Border Protection(DIBP) points test when applying for skilled independent (subclass 189) visa.
What is the duration of Professional Year Program?
It is a 44 week program with 12 weeks of internship placement.
International students must have completed their degree in accounting, computer science or engineering from Australian university. Further student must hold skilled-graduate (temporary) visa (subclass 485), which further allows an international student to stay in Australia for 18 months after completion of the degree. To be eligible for the visa the candidate must be under 50 years, have completed the eligible qualification within six months and possess skills and qualification required for Skilled Occupation List.
Professional Year Program providers and further information
The following Professional Year Programs are recognized by the Australian Government:
CPA Australia Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA)
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
The Australian Computer Society Professional Year Program
Engineers Australia Professional Year Program
What is included in Professional Year Program?
• Professional industry based training.
• Preparation of CV and grooming interview skills.
• Professional internship for 12 weeks.
• Developing business communication and getting used to with Australian work practices.
Applicants have must a minimum score of 6.0 overall with each band 6.0 in IELTS to be eligible for professional year program
Document checklist for professional year program
• Application Form
• Certified copy of passport and current visa status
• Certified IELTS certificate
• Certified copies of academic documents
• Skill assessment from relevant assessing bodies.
If you are having any queries related to Professional Year Program contact us at:
For more details contact us at:
03 85601984(L), 0402247131(O)
Or visit us at:
Suite 1201,Level 12,Queen Street, VIC 3000,Melbourne CBD