The applicant might be able to get this visa if s/he:
- has been nominated by an approved Australian employer. If the nomination has been granted, the visa application must be made within the six months from the date of nomination approval.
- is under the age of 50 at the time of application, unless exempted
- has the required skills and qualifications for the position
- has appropriate English language skills at the time of application lodgement, unless exempted
- meets the health and character requirements
- meets the requirements of the stream in which the application has been made.
This visa has three streams:
1. Temporary residence transition stream
The employee might be able to get this visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if the employee:
- holds a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
- has at least vocational English (unless exempt from this requirement)
- has worked for two years in the same position with the same employer, while holding subclass 457 visa as the primary visa holder, and the employer has an approved nomination for the employee for a permanent position under this stream.
The visa applicant’s skills do not need to be assessed because s/he has already worked for the nominating employer for two years in Australia.
2. Direct entry stream
The visa applicant might be able to get this visa under the Direct Entry stream if one of the following applies:
- have been nominated for a position under this stream and that nomination has been approved
- have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
- hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) but do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- are applying directly from outside Australia.
At time of application lodgement, the applicant must provide evidence of meeting the following requirements:
- have at least competent English (unless exempted from this requirement)
- have at least three years of relevant work experience
- have a positive valid skills assessment in the nominated occupation (the skill assessment must be conducted by the relevant assessing authority listed in the Combined List of Eligible Skilled Occupations.
3. Agreement stream
The visa applicant might be able to get this visa under the Agreement stream if sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement which requires an agreement to be in place for the particular industry or occupation.
The visa applicant must meet the age, skills and English language requirements stated in the agreement.